Nov. 23, 1998
Requirement for EDCI 536 Course for Chadron State College, Chadron, NE
Lesson Plan for the Elementary P.E. Instructor
Objective: 1. Daily work on the Physical Fitness to achieve higher
marks this spring on the Fitness test.
2. Frisbee Unit - to learn to hold the Frisbee and the
proper method of throwing and catching.
Lesson Plan: Good Morning! Today we are working on our new unit! (Pull
out a Frisbee and display.) But before we can do any thing with the
Frisbee, lets do our the daily exercise.
A. Varied Exercises
1. Aerobic exercise
a. jog around the gym 2 times
b. (blow whistle) yell out different movement
c. do the frog hop
d. (blow whistle)
e. do the bear crawl
f. (blow whistle)
g. Race Car - back to your assigned spots! (
each child has an
` assigned location in the gym)
2. Abdominal Exercise - demonstrate -kids follow(my
assistants for the day
comes up front and helps me demonstrate the
do bicycle - sit up on the count of 20 (get up
after a few and help
the kids do them properly)
3. Modified push-ups - 15 - demonstrate - assist the
4. Helicopter Jumping Jacks - 25 - demonstrate -
observe the students.
(assistants return to their location)
B. Frisbee Unit: two Frisbee in each color - it will
help organize the kids
1. Demonstrate the proper way to hold a Frisbee
2. Hand out the Frisbee to each child - have them
3. Monitor each child to make sure they understand.
3a. Demonstrate the easiest way to throw the Frisbee -
"tucked in method"
4. Put them in 5 lines (four person per line) They
throw their Frisbee and
retrieve them and get in the back of the line. Do
this for about 5 min.
5. Walk around and make sure that each student throw
the Frisbee correct.
6. Blow Whistle - Count backwards from 5 to zero -
students must return
their assigned location.
7. Now look at your Frisbee and point with your finger
to the other person
who has the same color as your Frisbee - they are
(continue to organize them on the basketball line
one person on
each end of the gym so the students are across
from the other who
has the same color Frisbee. You'll need to
eliminate one of the Frisbee
of each color)
8. On the count of three, you may practice throwing to
Monitor all students holding and throwing
methods. After 7-8 mins
passes, blow the whistle, count backwards
from 5 -zero and have
students return to their location.
9. Review what was learned today - holding and
Let the students demonstrate.
10. Talk about the next class activities
11. Dismiss by rows and give high fives to each child
as they pass by.
Materials Needed: Frisbee, whistle, and gym. This lesson could be
modified and done outside.
P.S. I do the first 10 exercises with the kids - then I check to make
sure each child is doing them properly. If they are I resume doing them
with the kids. If not, I get up and show the child what to do. While
doing the exercise, we talk about what muscles we are working and why it
is important to work on them. I also like to through in a "health fact